Old 02-26-15, 11:16 AM
rideBjj

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod - Sram Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
Actually when wireless electronic is a reality, my current bike(s) will have it. No need to wait for a next bike. But I will never buy wired electronic shifting. Feeding those wires through a frame is just stupid.
Agree completely with this. My current mechanical grouppo works so well, that even if I could straight up trade it in for Di2 or EPS, I am not sure I would. My frame, which I love and want to keep forever, has no provision for wiring.

If and when wireless becomes reality, AND comes down to a reasonable price, then I might consider it.

It really seems like SRAM (or whoever) should be able to market just the derailleurs, the CPU brains and user installable shift buttons that can be put anywhere, and there really should be no need to also replace shifter / brake bodies. Just remove the shift cables (and maybe in the case of sram and campy, also remove the inner lever blade leaving just the brake lever), mount everything and there you are.

Button arrays could be wired to the brain which mounts under the stem. Power for derailleurs is supplied by onboard camera batteries in each. Brain could have that or USB charging.

If SRAM does in fact market a full working wireless kit of some kind, I can fully see the home tinkerer buy just the two derailleurs and the CPU and figure out a solution on their own. I'd give that a try myself.