Old 02-26-15, 12:34 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,595 Times in 1,438 Posts
If you're willing to sleep rough, there's an almost infinite number of places you can camp in. I don't like to sleep in full view of busy roads, but usually don't have problems finding quiet out of sight places to pitch a simple tent and sleep. Campfires are out, so I'll eat dinner elsewhere, but can make coffee on my small stove in the AM.

Besides simply finding places out of sight, I've knocked on peoples doors and asked if I could sleep behind their house --- rarely refused, and often gets invites to dinner with the family. I once had a police sergeant tell me I couldn't stay where I was planning to camp, so I asked what my options and he wrote down an address and gave me directions. When I got there, his wife was surprised (he never called) but invited us in, and he showed up later for dinner. For me, meeting and speaking to people along the way is an important part of my travels, so I prefer trying to simply finding a place to hide.

BTW- the farther you are from home or the start of the trip, the more gracious the welcome, so start conversations by talking about the trip and where you rode from and are headed. People are far more welcoming of a traveler than just someone looking to crash.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.