View Single Post
Old 02-27-15, 01:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
I think back to the beginning of this winter and asking myself if I wanted to use winter tires. I figured they would be overkill because we have enough days above freezing that we won't have much of the ground covered in frozen stuff for long. Boy, was I wrong. Not only do I appreciate these knobby tires, but given that next winter may be like this one, studded tires will come in handy. My situation is a little unusual for NYC, because my bike commute is longer than normal and because I take the Hudson River Greenway all the way to the northern end, which is so badly neglected. I was right that the street surfaces aren't so threatening, but I'd rather ride the bike path, and it's pretty useless to me now. Wednesday, I rode home taking the streets most of the way to avoid the icy parts of the bike path, and it's not a very pleasant route. Braving aggressive NYC traffic is invigorating but only for a few miles. After a while, it gets pretty tiring.

I really appreciate everyone weighing in, especially @cyccommute, @rumrunn6, and @Jim from Boston.
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man that's brutal. it must have taken 2 hours to get in? great pics! love to see the river!
It was brutal. It took 90 minutes, which means the ice added 20 minutes. On dry pavement, when I looked down at my speed, I think it was around 13 or 14 mph.

Here is the record of my ride. You can see at the 50-minute mark, I was going nearly 0 mph a lot.

Now, here is a puzzle. In that very icy section, a guy came along in the opposite direction. Jogging. On the ice. Do you suppose he is super skilled, or might he have had studs on his sneakers? He seemed to be having no trouble, and his pace seemed only slightly slower than moderate. Not that I'm a good gauge of jogging speed.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.