Old 03-02-15, 01:54 AM
mikemowbz

Bikes: Are several.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 21 Posts
Braze on FD = crowding rear tire? Suggest an 'out-of-the-way' option? *Tight* geo...

So, a conundrum has arisen in my recent Cyclops build.

The bike has a very tight wheelbase (~97.5cm), with short chainstays (~39.5cm) - tight enough that the rear tire must be deflated to fit the wheel, and to justify a crimp in the rear of the seat tube for clearance. Limited tire clearance, to say the least.

Having just inflated the rear tire to check out how I'm doing there, it seem that the braze-on tricolor FD is actually crowding the rear tire - presenting the main limiting factor re: tire size (not that I could go up much anyways, but I can hardly go skinnier).

In particular, the portion of the FD where the limit screws are located sticks out to the rear/inside, running *very* close to my tire.

I'd hoped to run a hair larger tire (thinking Veloflex Master 25s), if possible...but it won't be like this.

Close of up pics of the problem area:

Tight, eh?

That's with a 23mm Shwalbe Ultremo. If I slide the wheel just a hair forward in the DO, it actually touches...

Wondering if folks have experienced this problem, and what my best bets for an alternate 'out of the way' braze-on FD might be?

Ideally something that will look 'right' with an 8sp Chorus/Record setup and some 7400 Dura Ace cranks on a nice build.

What about 8sp era Campy or 7-8sp Dura Ace (maybe too similar to the tricolor design?) Recommendations?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC00313.jpg (94.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg
DSC00318.jpg (92.6 KB, 156 views)