Old 03-02-15, 08:23 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Bicycles do not have seats, they have saddles (unless they're recumbents, or trikes, or other unholy, unnatural devil machines). You have to use the lingo if you want to be in the club. A seat supports all of your weight, a saddle is sat upon, but weight is also dispersed through the pedals and through your arms. Now why a saddle sits on a seatpost, which is inserted into a seattube, is one of life's little mysteries.
I agree.

Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
Like others have said, many prefer leather suspension saddles like Brooks. I recently tried their rubber saddle and it's HEAVEN. The shape and angle of the saddle will help determine how it sits....combined with your position and the bike's size. The same saddle can feel differently on a different bike with different positioning. The only way to get it right is experimentation, but a Brooks is likely a good place to start.
While I too use Brooks, mountainwalker should be warned that they have zero padding. They are not a "seat". If you try to ride them that way, you are in for a world of hurt. If you ride them like a proper saddle, i.e. as a means of support while using your arms and legs properly, they are quite comfortable but if you are looking for a marshmallow to cushion you, look elsewhere.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!