Old 03-02-15, 10:15 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
"Riding properly" BWAHAHAHAHA ! What is that exactly​ ? I get pain in the tush if I'm noodling. If I'm all out or at least "at tempo" -which cannot be sustained for more than 2 hrs at best- little to no pain. There is no properly.
Yes, there is a "properly" when it comes to riding a bike. Many people don't know this and they end up not being able to ride for very long times without pain. I tour by bicycle and can ride for 6 to 8 hours without suffering.

Originally Posted by cvskates
Where can I learn about this technique? [Seriously, I'm not funnin' you, I had no idea there was technique I should be using on my saddle].
Well, as with most things bicycle handling related, you can learn a lot more about how to ride properly by riding a mountain bike off-road. Most people ride a bike like they are sitting on a seat...they "sit" on it, like a sack of potatoes. Doing so is hard on the bike and hard on the rider. Every impact lifts you (and the bike) off the ground. To avoid the problem, ride "lighter" in the saddle. You use your legs and arms as well as the saddle to support you but you don't really "sit" on the saddle. It's a very dynamic way to ride rather than the more common passive way that people ride bikes.

If you don't use your legs and arms on a mountain bike off-road, you'll not go more than a few miles. The terrain will just beat you to pieces. You learn how to float over terrain rather than just slam into it out of self preservation.

On the road, you can be lazy and let the bike take more punishment but at a price to your delicate bits. For on the road, start by anticipating impacts. Look further down the road and when you see any cracks or surface irregularities, lift off the saddle slightly. You can do it while you pedal or, for big cracks, you can coast over them. Relax your arms and knees as you approach the crack and let your arms and legs flex at the joints to absorb the shock. If you feel the shock at your saddle, get a little higher off the saddle for the next one.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!