Old 03-02-15, 11:09 AM
erig007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mountainwalker
Which seats would you recommend for daily urban commuting and weekend fitness and light touring rides? Something that will have you sitting on your sit bones and not the important soft parts down there, and will still offer good cushion and shock absorption?

Overly soft seats have a tendency to collapse under your weight and pressure soft areas that shouldn't be pressured.

I'd sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

Been getting back into cycling and loving it. Have gotten great advice here.
For urban commuting in 40F and below rides on mountain bikes i would recommend the sqlab airflow 604. It has different width to fit different sitbones width and an elevated platform to relieve pressure on soft tissues. I find this saddle too warm for above 40F rides. I believe it is because of gel gathering heat. I don't use padded bike shorts on this one which can be convenient at times in urban rides. Some people that commented on it didn't like the elevated platform. I didn't like it neither at first but i had to for the sake of my soft tissues. Now i like it a lot.
Noseless saddles are another good bet especially on cruiser bikes i believe. The most comfy saddle i have ever been on was a noseless saddle. Though the one i've tried put too much pressure on the wrists.
For weekend fitness and light touring rides i would recommend saddles with narrower nose and less padding. Brooks saddles are pretty popular.

Last edited by erig007; 03-02-15 at 11:34 AM.