View Single Post
Old 03-02-15, 11:50 AM
Redhatter

Bikes: Dahon fold-up, '12 Giant Talon 29 ER 0, '16 Giant Toughroad SLR1.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
@Redhatter, can we see a few close-ups of your "dashboard?" There's a lot going on there.
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
+1. Is that a CB radio?

I respectfully request a picture of everything in the front basket, rear trunk, and side bags spread out on the driveway!
Okay, I'll see if I can get some shots when I get home tonight. Part of why there's "so much going on" is I've stuffed my reflective vest in there.

The kit you can probably see though:
- Main transceiver: RigPix Database - Yaesu - FT-857D -- just the head unit (the rest is in the top box)
- Backup transceiver (mainly used for APRS tracking which saves a LOT of phone calls): RigPix Database - Kenwood/Trio - TH-D72 -- clipped onto the handle for the basket
- GPS and CB set: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/outd...prod82798.html

The main set is what I use since it's got the transmit power and covers all bands/modes. The hand-held is sort of a back-up: I can use it to monitor a second frequency and it has a GPS built-in with APRS so it can report my location via VHF packet radio. Neither of these do CB.

The Garmin GPS doubles as an 80 channel UHF CB transceiver, but must of the time that's turned off and I use it to monitor mileage and speed.

The front basket is where I carry some cables, my breakfast/lunch, phone, wallet, keys, cables, etc.

There's an older photo of the same basket arrangement some time back when I bought my mountain bike (Talon 29ER 0).

The main changes being that I've made a shelf for the GPS to sit on, I didn't have the hand-held, and I had the head unit in a slightly different spot.

On the handlebars are the controls for the radio (pushbuttons and toggle switch) and indicators (red switches) which is the same on both bikes.

Last edited by Redhatter; 03-02-15 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Put up old photo showing basket