Old 03-02-15, 03:44 PM
adventurepdx

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by jamawani
What do you mean by "hiker/biker"?
If you mean designated campsites in parks or campgrounds where the cost is about $5 per person -
Then, no - there aren't many, unfortunately. Oregon is, by far, the best. California's used to be pretty good, but Calif has been slammed by budget cuts. Washington State Parks have some mowed area off to the side without even a picnic table.
While I'm not doubting that some of Washington State Park's hiker/biker sites are a grassy field, the ones I've encountered west of the Cascades tend to be pretty similar to a regular "drive in" campsite with picnic table in a forested setting:

Lewis and Clark State Park, south of Chehalis. This one even had a covered picnic shelter right next to the hiker/biker site:

Columbia Hills State Park outside of The Dalles, OR. A bit grassier, but there is picnic tables and trees (though a better windbreak would be appreciated):

Cape Disappointment north of Astoria, OR. This hiker/biker site even had a bear box!

I don't have pics, but from experience the hiker/biker sites at Beacon Rock and Deception Pass are also wooded with picnic tables.

The biggest difference is pricing. Hiker/biker sites in Washington are $12 per site, vs the $5 per person in Oregon. So it will be more expensive if you are solo touring, but cheaper if you have a party of three or more.