View Single Post
Old 03-05-15, 11:15 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You guys are great! I have learned a lot. Not only do studs help with ice, nothing else will. Same with knobs for snow (and mud)...

I live in New York, not the great white north, so I didn't expect to need a winter bike. The amount of time the surfaces to be covered covered was short, and the amount of time I expected to be willing to ride was short. But both turned out to be wrong. We've had a lot of ground cover, and since I prefer the bike path to the streets, and since the parks department has forgotten about the northern end of the path, the amount of time the surface has been covered has been quite long. Also, I've learned to dress for the weather, so my willingness -- even eagerness -- to ride in these conditions has/have increased.
I won't cry for you, Argentina.

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…This winter I have ridden my CF bike up to January 1, and it looks like it may be relatively mild (for precipitation), with increased dry road days….

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
For me, it's not so much the frame, much as keeping the drivetrain pristine; and I prefer to have studded tires unless the road is perfectly dry. I was hoping I'd be riding it more this winter when rode on January 1, but then the "sh*tstorms" hit the fan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1267.jpg (96.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg
JP Bikepath 001.jpg (96.8 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-05-15 at 11:38 AM.