Old 03-08-15, 04:59 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 864 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
That bottom bracket is shrapnel. Measure the overall length and from the ends to what was the center of the cartridge and look around. From the stay damage, were you running a triple? If so, and maybe otherwise some additional length on the drive side looks necessary.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the BB is at best an interesting paperweight.

Re stay damage: when the bike came to my friend the pictured damage was already done. The bike came in with all three chainrings installed installed on the triple - the granny was removed as a part of his rebuild before he sold the bike to me. As I think about it more, the fact that the small ring shows damage that is uneven circumferentially would support the BB being...compromised before my friend and I came into the bike; the play in the BB allowing chainring rub during the NDS power stroke.

Either way, I gave it a heck of a twist during the aforementioned incident, perhaps turning bad to worse. I'd say the ultimate failure was initiated by a local failure at the above bearing race in the sleeve.

I was hoping to reuse the spindle, and it turns out I have a pretty decent set of Sugino cups and bearings in a box here. Unfortunately, the original spindle will not work with typical BB cups due to the lack of a 'cone' (i.e. bearing race lip).

The search begins. Thanks again.

Edit: When the bike was reassembled, the BB was pushed as far to the DS as possible, not sure where it was originally.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 03-08-15 at 05:12 PM.