genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris516
Because, There are more options when 'taking the lane'. Than there are 'hugging the side', or being on the sidewalk. Because, Sometimes' the bike route goes on the sidewalk.

While I understand your reasoning, and position. I still stand by my position. Because, The video previously mentioned in another thread of the guy on the sidewalk who yells at one driver supposedly blowing a stop sign as the cyclist was about to cross. Is one example. Also, By taking the lane, a cyclist is seen better. They have a better chance of evading a collision with an ignorant motorist.

I switched to 'taking the lane', a long time ago. For that reason. The only time I was hit from behind while 'taking the lane'. Was when I wasn't moving. Waiting to merge in to the traffic from a dual-turn lane.
The lane taking cyclist is only seen better when motorists are actually looking.

The glance and go motorists are looking for large car shaped objects... they can see right through a cyclist who is right in front of them. And the most fatal form of car bike collision is still being hit from behind. As long as motorists continue to try to multi-task behind the wheel... taking the lane is an iffy proposition.

I take the lane when I have to... but given the choice, I'd prefer to be out of the way of the distracted drivers of fast heavy vehicles.