Old 03-09-15, 04:27 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Telly
Owning a car in Greece is expensive, so when I decided to go car free and recycled my old car, I was amazed on how much money I saved within six months of cycling, cab rides (quite cheap compared to other countries) and a bit of public transport.

My current "guesstimate" would be savings in the $2,500 to $3,000 range WITHOUT emergency repair costs or accidents; now double this amount because of the difference in lower wages and higher costs because of the crisis/depression.

Putting savings aside, my biggest reason to continue cycling is how much my stress levels during commute have decreased; even with bad drivers and road conditions. My car commute was relatively short (10-15 minutes), but I would need at least 20 minutes to find a parking spot... this both on the way to AND from work.

Now, I cycle to work, and have gotten permission to use the underground executive parking to safely store my bike... home-to-work in roughly 25 minutes without any delays and frustration!
Has cycling become more common in Greece as the crisis continues? Does there seem to be more road rage?

"Think Outside the Cage"