View Single Post
Old 03-09-15, 10:45 PM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stepped on the scale today. Since middle January I've gained almost 6 pounds. But, I'm really not worried. My clothes fit the same and I'm measurably stronger and more stable. One of my favorite exercises is standing curls to military press, 3-4 sets of 12 with 2 25# dumbbells alternating with supine pullovers with the same weights and numbers. For structural reasons I'm not going to increase weight(now 50#). But, I think I'm going to add a set or two. Same with all the other exercises I do.

Now I could eat less and lose weight, maybe. But, I'm more interested in strength and endurance than I am with weight. Until, this summer when I can start riding a real bike outside. Another factor is that I compete with no one but me. Oh, I might have a friendly sprint with someone in my glacial age bracket. But no real competition. Even then I thin all this emphasis on weighing the absolute least is a lot of noise for very little return.

Muscle weighs. Strong bones weigh. If you have both you will weigh. For a guy the key is no body part jiggles that is not supposed, chest bigger than abdomen, healthy eating(body builders call it eating clean), and happy with yourself.

The whole point of this for most of us is to have fun for a long time. Playing close to the edge of the performance envelope costs a lot of stress and not only yields poor rewards, it may actually shorten your effective healthy life.