View Single Post
Old 03-09-15, 10:50 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
And drivers often drive in a traffic lane, or at least not on the shoulder, and alleged better sight lines are immaterial for these drivers even with this alleged tunnel vision.
It depends on the road.

If the shoulder is wide enough that a car can safely get past a bike without swerving... then being on the shoulder, the car is more likely to just pass by, even without seeing the bicycle (although any cars will cut corners).

On the other hand, if the bike must be in part of the lane which is normally occupied by the car, then perhaps there would be an advantage of being more in the middle.

HOWEVER, keep in mind that you are reducing the options available to the driver.

Consider you riding at 10 MPH in the middle of the lane and a car driving at 60 MPH. If the car doesn't see you early for some reason, there are 2 options available, slow down from 60 to 10, or the car must pass (which may be precluded by traffic), leaving only one option, slowing down... if the driver reacts quick enough. (or the rare third option of hitting the ditch, if there isn't a guard rail or a ravine).

With the bike on the side of the road, there are 3 options.
Pass, slow down... or scootch past. As a bicyclist, you may not like the close brush-bys, but it is a valid option where a car moves over as far in the lane to safely avoid an obstruction (bike, pedestrian), while still maintaining clearance from opposing traffic.

I'd rather hear wind over my shoulder than the squeal of a skid on the road behind. And, what about about a bad road surface or condition. Hill, wet, oily, curve, rain, fog, etc. Do you take that into consideration?

Oh... I should also add...
If things are hairy... It takes less effort to move a vehicle a foot to the left than moving it 8 feet to the left.

Last edited by CliffordK; 03-09-15 at 11:57 PM.