View Single Post
Old 03-11-15, 06:52 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3231 Post(s)
Liked 3,874 Times in 1,440 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever even seen a Swobo in person, but there's a lot to like about that Scofflaw. The geometry looks great for CX -- traditional CX angles and a decently tall head tube. The tire clearance looks great for a bike with that kind of geometry. I didn't see mention of belt-drive compatibility, but that would have been icing on the cake.

As for similar bikes, there are, as you say, a lot of ways to make a bike a singlespeed these days. Anything with an PF30 interface can use an eccentric bottom bracket. I went that route with my Jake the Snake and I'm very happy with the results. It's aluminum and doesn't have quite the tire clearance of the Scofflaw, but it's a great bike.

The Soma Wolverine uses the same sliding dropouts as the Scofflaw and does have belt drive compatibility, but the geometry is more in the adventure range (except the oddly short head tube).

There's always the Surly Cross Check/Straggler. They have great tire clearance and traditional CX angles, but I always felt like I was fighting with the fit on my Cross Check because of the short head tube.

The Raleigh Furley is another option. It uses a PF30 eccentric bottom bracket, but it's steel. The geometry is very similar to the Scofflaw. The stock components are extremely meh (and as a result it's a bit heavy), but it's correspondingly cheap.

Finally, if you consider small/independent builders the choices are nearly limitless. The Traitor Crusade is an example.