Old 03-12-15, 07:35 AM
gioscinelli 

Bikes: 2012 Moots VaMoots-74 Peugeot Mixtie U018-73 Peugeot U018

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I agree with @big chainring and the time to bring the Gitane TDF to restore condition has to be factored in. Name recognition is important and the Gitane image is low end during the 70's bike boom. So $200 would be the max.
Originally Posted by big chainring
Really surprized people like the TDF here. Most french bikes and Gitanes get pretty beat up by the appraisers. I've bought and sold 6 TDF's over the last couple years. It was a very popular bike in the midwest and they pop up on CL frequently here. The orange ones get a little more money as they are just really pretty bikes. Getting more than $225 in rehabbed riding condition is pretty tough. Very few people recognize them as a quality vintage bike. Everyone pooh-poohs the Simplex derailleurs, even when they perform great after 40+ years. Usually equipped with sew-up tires that have a whole misunderstood lineage to them.

The bike in question needs some work. An afternoon wrenching and some new tires and bar tape would put it in good order. Really cant see it selling for much more than $300 all fixed up. But thats just monetary value. Its a great riding bike that could be enjoyed.

Bike has Campy Tipo hubs which is a plus. MAFAC Competition brakes. Stronglight 93 crank and Lyotard pedals. All together it makes for one of the classic and very underappreciated parts groups.

In similiar condition to the one in question here, I have bought the 6 I mentioned ranging in price from $150-200.