View Single Post
Old 03-13-15, 08:38 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1126 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
I don't carry anything while touring that is vintage camping gear because so much has improved over the years that it makes it just darn right silly to try to carry a light load on a bicycle with vintage stuff...although I do ride a sort of vintage bike because the bike is about the same weight as a modern touring bike but the vintage components are more trouble free and easier to work on, so I ride an 85 Schwinn Le Tour Luxe. I like a lot of vintage stuff, but I also like a lot of modern stuff just depends on why.

I pack the AeroPress because it's cheap to buy and easy to use, along with pre-ground coffee because I don't want to carry a grinder when touring. I heat the water to almost boiling on a Trangia Westwind Stove (lots of good small camping stoves on the market I just happen to chose this one) which only takes about 3 minutes for a cup of water. I then press the coffee into a Snow Peak Titanium cup. There are all sorts of way to make coffee while touring, that's the way I chose to do it, there are camping french press devices but I prefer to filter the crud out which is why I chose the AeroPress; there is also an espresso maker called the Wild Hybrid which uses either espresso grounds or ESE pods, I thought seriously about that one but concluded I didn't want a $110 coffee maker to take touring. Of course if you want great tasting coffee you need great tasting water so I use an old Pur Scout water filter, it's kind of clunky compared to newer filters but it works great, someday I may replace it.

The stove I mentioned is very fuel efficient, you can read about it here: Trangia Westwind Stove

Now if only Fuji would make black and white roll film for my Polaroid J66!