View Single Post
Old 03-16-15, 10:55 AM
Coal Buster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
I was in hospital for an op following an accident 10 weeks ago. When being booked in to the ward I heard several other people around my age being signed in as well, and was astonished at the list of meds they were telling the nurse they took. I'm very lucky in that I don't take any regular meds but I often wonder about the combined effects that a cocktail of meds might have, possibly leading to other symptoms - including tiredness and lethargy.

For example, following a slight prostate problem a few months ago I went to the docs. After a cystoscopy and prostate examination, plus ultrasound scans I was given the all clear, but my doc suggested I use Tamsulosin. I asked what it did and how long I would take it for. He said it lowered the blood pressure, thus easing prostate pressure, and that I would take it permanently. Now a) I have a healthy blood pressure and b) I do not want to go on permanent meds unless absolutely necessary so I said no. Not decrying meds at all, and I have often taken them when necessary, but I do think docs are too quick to prescribe them.

I believe docs should sometimes take a more holistic approach rather than prescribing drugs for every symptom.

I hope this isn't seen as being critical of your medicine regime in any way at all, as I know nothing about you or your health, but it is a general concern I have as I get older. I am of course speaking as a medical ignoramus.

Good luck with your cycling this year. It's got to be good for you.
Although it can lower BP, Tamsulosin doesn't relieve prostate problems that way. It specifically relaxes muscles in the bladder-neck and prostate easing urination. Lowering BP is a (sometimes unwanted) side effect. Addressing difficulty urinating is an important issue for men over fifty. The harder the bladder has to work to expel urine, the thicker it grows (like any muscle), leaving less room to store urine, leading to more frequent trips to the bathroom, leading to working the bladder harder, and so on, and so on.