Old 03-17-15, 05:48 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,594 Times in 1,437 Posts
It's not you, it's most likely the install, but could be the tire.

If the tire isn't spread evenly around the rim and properly seated when mounted, the slack section will lift and blow off. Sometimes newly installed tires have a bit of tube trapped under the bead, which will act like an airbag and jack that area of tire up and over the rim.

It's also possible that the tire was cut from the bead wire if it was installed with tire levers, and excess brute force. If so, the tire is dead, and there's no fix.

Deflate, press the tire in away from the rim, and look there to see if there's any tube visible. Also, massage it around so it's even around the rim. Then inflate to 10-15psi and slowly spin the wheel watching the reference line molded just above the rim's edge to see that it's the ame distance all the way around. (that's why they mold it there, and call it the reference line).

If the tire is OK, a decent job seating it will solve the issue.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.