View Single Post
Old 03-18-15, 01:28 PM
jsngrimm

Bikes: 1987 Diamond Back Curaca MTB, 1995 Schwinn Moab MTB, 1985 Diamond Back Hot Streak BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Project/Build Thread

Not exactly a top dollar bike but I rescued a 70s C. ITOH (Rename of Bridgestone/Kabuki) 10 speed from a dumpster the other day and I'm not exactly restoring it but putting it back together with some parts I have laying around. What it looked like originally:

Starting to get torn down: Alot of parts were too rusted and/or broken to save, looked like it had been sitting and rained on for a long time

After a bit of work it was semi-rideable, the 27 inch wheels were toast and the front had a broken hub flange so I grabbed the 26" wheels and derailleurs off a Columbia 10 speed I had. I will make the 26" wheels work by using longer reach brakes

Today it got new SR cranks and new pedals, I decided to keep it 5 speed with one ring up front for now. The old Sugino Maxy crank must have been ridden a long time with a very loose left arm, the square taper inside the arm was completely trashed and wobbled even when over tightened and shimmed. I rode it for about 14 miles today and its doing great The lack of brakes is a bit scary at times but hopefully that will be the next thing to get done