Old 03-19-15, 10:46 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by plustax
romans there would be no deer left if we harvested them at the rate to replace beef.
It's closer than you think. About 41 million cattle are harvested each year; and about 9 million deer. And remember the deer aren't farmed (mostly) and there are limits on their harvest. Each year conservation departments calculate and determine the population and then issue permits and licenses based on how many they think can safely be harvested. For example, here in Missouri, we have plentiful doe but sometimes are short on bucks. So generally hunters are only allowed to kill one buck each year, and can sometimes kill 3 or 4 doe. The doe provide better meat anyway. Most hunters, all the ones I know, are very concerned with making sure they use as much of the deer as possible. Plus one or two adult deer can feed a family for a year.

You're right that we can't replace the beef. But if we could wean Americans away from beef, and farm venison; we could really do well. Though venison are tough to farm. They move fast, are susceptible to diseases when they aren't allowed to run wild and, frankly, fences aren't really effective at keeping them anywhere.

Despite 9~10 million deer a year being harvested, the population hovers around 50 million. Meaning that even though 20% of them are consistently killed each fall and winter (and that's just hunting; many more are killed on the road); their numbers don't dwindle. Very, very hardy breeders.

By the way, I want you to know I'm not being argumentative. It's tough to convey tone over the internet. I'm just trying to understand why meat is unsustainable in the future. I'm not sure you've been able to convince me at all. I'm still pretty impressed by the way nature has lined up the right animals to eat the right animals to keep everything in check. Our diets DO need updating though. We're not supposed to eat meat EXCLUSIVELY. If Americans mixed a LOT more vegetables into their diets, weaned themselves off of so much beef, etc., most if not all of the issues of sustainability would go away. And believe it or not; that's the trend. As Americans are finally being encouraged to be healthier; diet is the first thing that has to change (and hey, I'm living proof).

As to the elevators; my grandparents visited Israel in the 80's and stayed at the "King David Hotel". On the Sabbath, the elevator stopped automatically on every floor. As Jews are not permitted to 'work' on the Sabbath, some orthodox jews would view even operating the elevator as 'work' (those same Jews will turn their lights on in their house the night before the sabbath so they remain on through the sabbath). My grandparents mentioned it was the only day the American tourists took the stairs; because it was faster

I couldn't say I'd support forcing folks to use the stairs and elevators for handicap folks only (though that's the way it was both at my high school AND in college. Both had elevators that required a key and were for handicapped persons only. Both only being 2 or 3 floor buildings though), but I do wish folks would use the stairs more. Little things like that that would make us healthier. The only caveat I have for that is folks who workout regularly. Sometimes on this forum I see folks scoffing people people working out and then using the elevator. So what? If they are working out and becoming healthy, then they are working out and becoming healthy! The stairs are a nice touch; but so what? Though, personally, I try to use the stairs instead and generally park far away, etc.