Old 03-19-15, 11:14 AM
RomansFiveEight

Bikes: Nashbar CR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
Yes, about the only post here that does make sense.

The way meat is produced in the modern age is clearly very bad for the environment. That's a scientific fact. You can't dispute it if you are a rational person. But, like you say, that doesn't necessarily make it morally wrong to eat meat.

But if we choose to eat meat (as it's currently produced), the facts have to be taken into account. It's childish to just say "eating meat is fine because that's what we want to believe." We have to face facts and make rational decisions about the use of resources if we're going to survive in the next couple generations.

At the current time, it doesn't look like people want to eat less meat. Global meat consumption is going up as more people can afford it. If that's what people want, fine. But it would be smart to have a discussion about the effects of producing more meat, and come to some intelligent decisions about the practice. We might be able to eat less meat per person, as well as develop less harmful ways of producing it. Just because something is bad for the nvironmnt doesn't automatically mean that you're going to outlaw it. But you do need to make decisions based on the scientific facts about what is a rational plan other than banning meat.

There are many similarities to this issue and the role of automobiles. People don't want to ban cars, but they do need to think rationally about how we can have cars while still doing less harm to the environment. The two answers, as with meat consumption, are to both drive less globally and to find technological innovations that cause less pollution while driving.
Amen!

That's what it's all about. Let's find sustainable, real, genuine ways to improve our world. Lets invest in better technologies to reduce the emissions create both when cars are produced and when the darn things are actually on the road. Progress looks like year after year, less and less fuel purchased in the US. That progress is attained through BOTH more efficient, and fewer cars. Less fuel purchased is less fuel burned. Lets improve the way meat is produced and encourage Americans (and others) to wean down their consumption of meat. We don't need to all become vegetarians; but maybe convincing folks that really it isn't healthy, natural, or necessary to eat meat with every single meal. You'll save money, lose weight, and be healthier when you mix in plenty of fresh veggies and reduce your meat consumption. That was one of my dietary changes when losing weight. Meat was the major component of every single meal, veggies were a 'side component'. Now veggies generally take the forefront and lean meats harvested as best as I have access to are consumed. A couple times a week I don't eat ANY meat, and I generally eat some meat with my veggies, instead of some veggies with my meat. For example, I'm eating a chicken salad for lunch today. Spinach, lettuce, peppers, kale, some light vinaigrette dressing and a couple ounces of grilled chicken (I grill up a pound or two at a time and use it for several days). I think most Americans could handle that, and it would make a tremendous difference.