Old 03-19-15, 11:40 AM
MnHPVA Guy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
ID help - Fabulous Free Fuji Find, Finest or**********?

I was driving down an alley in my neighborhood, the day before garbage/recycling pickup, when I see 2 bikes, a white frame w/components and some wheels, out by a mini-dumpster. Didn't have my bifocals on but I can tell the frame is a decent '70s Fuji. 2 wheels are steel and 2 alloy, with rotted tires.

Went up to the house, where I was told to take what I wanted. Left the matched set of Schwinn electro-forged 5 speeds, complete, rust free and looking little used, for someone else. Took the frame and alloy wheels. No decals so I did a bit of googling to see what I have.

At first I figured it was a 1974 Finest. Serial number K9I10034 indicate 1974. White was a Finest color option in '74. Suntour V-Lux RD, SL FD and PowerRatchet shifters are correct.

But, the long point lugs and semi wrap-over seat stays don't match any photos I've found on-line.

Campi brakes, brake levers and pedals aren't original so they are no help. Nicely done brake bridge.

O-rings are cracked but the shoes are little used and the arms are unblemished. Anyone know what size the O-rings are?

Fortunately there are plenty of reproduction hoods on Ebay at reasonable prices.

A little rough on the outside but smooth as butter.

The photo in the '74 Fuji brochure http://www.classicfuji.com/1974_04_Finest_Page.htm appears to show an earlier Mighty Comp without the slotted spider and drillium rings.

Wheels are later Matrix 700s with 126mm spacing in the rear and a 5 speed alloy Winner FW. I had to cut the tires away as the kevlar beads were so tight I worried about damaging the rims. But once I did I found the rims to be true and the bearings smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
seat_lug.jpg (27.2 KB, 52 views)
head_lugs&crown.jpg (26.5 KB, 51 views)
brake&bridge.jpg (46.3 KB, 54 views)
lever.jpg (32.8 KB, 44 views)
pedal.jpg (34.4 KB, 51 views)
drivetrain.jpg (74.8 KB, 52 views)
side_view.jpg (62.3 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by MnHPVA Guy; 03-19-15 at 11:46 AM.