Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RomansFiveEight
Amen!

That's what it's all about. Let's find sustainable, real, genuine ways to improve our world. Lets invest in better technologies to reduce the emissions create both when cars are produced and when the darn things are actually on the road. Progress looks like year after year, less and less fuel purchased in the US. That progress is attained through BOTH more efficient, and fewer cars. Less fuel purchased is less fuel burned. Lets improve the way meat is produced and encourage Americans (and others) to wean down their consumption of meat. We don't need to all become vegetarians; but maybe convincing folks that really it isn't healthy, natural, or necessary to eat meat with every single meal. You'll save money, lose weight, and be healthier when you mix in plenty of fresh veggies and reduce your meat consumption. That was one of my dietary changes when losing weight. Meat was the major component of every single meal, veggies were a 'side component'. Now veggies generally take the forefront and lean meats harvested as best as I have access to are consumed. A couple times a week I don't eat ANY meat, and I generally eat some meat with my veggies, instead of some veggies with my meat. For example, I'm eating a chicken salad for lunch today. Spinach, lettuce, peppers, kale, some light vinaigrette dressing and a couple ounces of grilled chicken (I grill up a pound or two at a time and use it for several days). I think most Americans could handle that, and it would make a tremendous difference.
And of course, the sticking point is the large faction of people who cannot or will not discuss these issues rationally. They can call people who are trying to discuss it silly names, and engage in childlike denial that problems even exist, but real discussion of real problems in this world (and this forum) is constantly being drowned out by the "nattering nabobs of negativity."

The point is, there are real problems that face this world. Obviously, climate change is one of the most serious problems. Cars (and meat eating) are both aspects of the problem. Maybe not the most important aspects, but things that we ordinary people can do something about. Whether individuals choose to do anything is another issue, and whether they should do something is obviously a moral question that's open to debate.

(And it is pretty cool that doing the "right thing" environmentally is sometimes also th thing that's the best for your pocketbook and your health!)

"Think Outside the Cage"