View Single Post
Old 03-21-15, 07:32 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3173 Post(s)
Liked 1,725 Times in 1,043 Posts
Yeah, rm-rf, Intransit and Gregf are getting to the point: there's no need to maintain 90rpm average.

I know that on the boards here, that number (or range 90-100) has gained currency as the gold standard, but it is not, and in fact is probably a waste of energy from a biomechanical efficiency standpoint. I think it arrived in its current position as a matter of misunderstanding and repetition among people who don't really know.

There's no doubt you should be able to hit 90rpm and beyond when needed-- as gregf pointed out, when laying down heavy watts, it's the only way-- but it may be that your particular ideal cadence for tempo is lower.

Also, be careful not to confuse what you're averaging; the entire ride, if you're out on a typical road ride, is one thing, whereas central segments of your ride over untrafficked, stoplight-free, flat stretches where you're maintaining steady tempo is something else.

In my experience, the fastest riders don't concern themselves with such things, and are often riding at under 90rpm, but of course have a working range well beyond 100. I usually average 85-87 over rides and workouts, sometimes lower depending on my goals.