View Single Post
Old 03-24-15, 10:19 AM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm in the ride alone club for sure. 99% of my MTB rides are alone. However, most of my MTB rides are on county maintained trails and my wife knows where I ride. If I don't show up at night, she would call 911 and it wouldn't take long to find me. Still, I don't try some obsticles that might be risky. I fell and broke a rib a few years ago, not fun. I carry a cell and I always carry at least one pepper spray, sometimes two, strongly recommend cause you never know when a wild dog or animal needs a meal and you're it.
I ride alone on trails because I like it that way. I like the solitude and relaxation mountain biking provides. I like it because it forces you to concentrate on the trail, if you don't you just ran off and hit a tree or boulder. That concentration blocks out the days problems while endorphins build up. At the end, the euphoric feeling is really uplifting.

Funny, when I'm on the roadie, I ride in a pace line 80% of the time or in a structured ride 10% of the time. Only 10% or rides are solo with no support.

Last edited by roccobike; 03-24-15 at 10:24 AM.