View Single Post
Old 03-27-15, 08:27 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2623 Post(s)
Liked 1,962 Times in 1,229 Posts
Keeping a decent blog on your trip is a time commitment. I usually have to dedicate 30-60 minutes a day to keep one on a netbook. (You can keep it in a word processing document when there's no 'net connectivity.) I try to interleave a paragraph or two of story between each picture; the combination of text and pictures makes a blog much more engaging. It only takes maybe 15 minutes a day to write things down in a physical journal, but I usually lose the context of many of the pictures I'd like to integrate into the story.

The benefit to the author is that a blog helps you remember details about a trip that would otherwise soon be forgotten. The detriment to keeping a good blog is that, as I mentioned, it's a time commitment, and if you're traveling with other people, they may not appreciate the time, and your attention to the blog, it takes.

Please, if you do blog about a ride, do NOT string together a dozen pictures with no stories or captions each day. Without any context, they're meaningful to nobody but you, the photographer.

My blog was re-hosted at http://pdlamb.wordpress.com. There are benefits to using a commercial site, as opposed to a personal web site, even if the owner offers to share.