Old 03-27-15, 08:36 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,593 Times in 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
On the subject - how much grease are Shimano rollerbrake hubs expected to take?

I just packed a syringe - handy for injecting NoTubes sealant etc - with a generic bearing grease, poked the tip through the grease port and pushed the plunger what I though of as "sufficient". 3 CC perhaps.
Overfill?
Should I have kept going?
Less is better. Unless the hub has a solid barrier to prevent excess grease from filling the hub and directs all excess to the outside under a bleeder type seal excess grease will eventually pack the hub solid.

On my old GreaseGuard hubs (no brake) I could continue to inject grease forcing old contaminated grease out under the external seals until it ran clean. But I wouldn't try this with any hub that had internals other than the two ball bearings. IMO, 1 cc is probably plenty. Keep in mind that grease doesn't evaporate or get consumed, so if it's not coming out under a seal, each new application adds to what's in the hub.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.