View Single Post
Old 03-29-15, 02:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4340 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride alone the vast majority of the time. One of the key considerations I use when considering the risk of riding alone, is traffic volume. If you're riding a somewhat popular trail during the day, there's little added risk to being alone, because someone will be coming by within a few minutes anyway.

OTOH, if you're riding a very secluded, or rarely used trail, or are the last person on it late in the afternoon, it can be hours or until the next day or even a week before anybody happens by, and you have to be ready to manage 100% solo. This isn't to say that riding lonely places solo is stupid and shouldn't be done, only that you have to factor likelihood and consequences into the decision.

These days, they make personal emergency locator beacons, similar to those used at sea for years, so that's an option if riding in isolation. Also, if there's a ranger or park gate attendant, let them know where you'll be riding, and most important --- please --- tell them when you're leaving.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.