Old 03-30-15, 08:33 AM
tacreamer
Go Ride

Bikes: Enough +1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 21 Posts
I believe that we have a different understanding of a "purist" as you will want to label me. My definition of a purist is someone who has made up their mind and will refuse any plausible alternatives. I gladly entertain different viewpoints and technically advancements, I'm not stuck using the same metric in defining something different!

As you said, you concluded that the value of having a high-end touring bicycle was not there for "you", in this we agree. For me, I will rather look at the bigger picture in that I don't need to buy and support a business model that ships resources and talent to another country to save a few dollars. I rather do without and wait to support a different business model that has a greater value for me and the local economy that I live in. I don't need to buy another piece of mass produced Chinese products to fill that spot in my garage, that is of greater value to "me"!

Originally Posted by tom cotter
For a non purist you sure made the purist's argument.

We are not going to agree. I carefully researched custom frame makers and concluded the value is not there. The higher price is driven more by business math, than quality differences. You, OTOH, get joy from riding one type of steel alloy over another. So be it! Let others read our words and decide for themselves.