Old 03-30-15, 09:23 AM
loimpact

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix Evo 3; 2014 Cannondale Quick 4; 2014 Cannondale Crash 4 hi-mod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
A no. of things:
- You haven't gotten the memo on how often to service a crank. How many miles do you ride in a year? If you don't ride in the rain, which I presume you do from time to time, the crank (not bearings) should come off every 3K miles...for inspection of the bearings. Clean grime, re-grease bearings from inside depending on dust seals obscuring the balls and a light coating of grease on the crank spindle and reassemble.

What crank is on the bike?
Crank is FSA-K Light (as mentioned in the OP)

And, no, I haven't gotten the memo about servicing crank. Once torqued properly (especially a crankset like that in a sealed-cartridge bearing) I can't imagine they'd need servicing. (Kind of like front wheel bearings on a modern vehicle, super-wazoo dust seals not withstanding)

You mention you service your bikes and you ask what crank preload is? This is no slight on you. But crank preload is bike maintenance/build 101. Your maintenance efforts are misdirected if not focused on the BB which requires more attention than any other aspect of the bike including headset and wheel bearings.
Then on this I was definitely uninformed. Again, I know a great number of folks who don't even pull their chain in a year's time, much less headset or cranks. My headset maintenance, in fact, was only to troubleshoot another "tick/crick" that turned out to reside in the spacer stack anyway, thus never truly requiring anything be done.

I do ride in So Cal so we're fairly dry, with a rare ride in the rain a couple times per season, perhaps. Otherwise, again, with my knowledge of bearings as they exist in everything from hubs, discs, drums and CV's....I wouldn't have otherwise thought a "sealed" environment would need monthly or even semi- monthly servicing. (Maybe the bike industry should employ "bearing buddies" a la the boat trailer industry)

Good you are OK with BB30 in spite of your woes. You will get it resolved. Honestly, BB30 is perhaps the simplest BB ever created and completely reliable with adequate maintenance. But if you haven't pulled your crank in one year, unless your bike is a garage queen and unridden, it hasn't been adequately maintenanced. Btw, if you ride twice a week in the rain, the crank should come off every month at least.

I will certainly pull the cranks and check 'em out. And if it even needs be said, I will do what I feel is necessary to ensure this is not something that necessarily needs to be revisited as often as perhaps some might think. Again, I truly don't think it should be so.

And also, thanks for coming up w/ the green loctite solution. I truly did search quite a bit & there are plenty of whacky solutions out there but if yours is the right one....then many thanks!! (It shouldn't required us folks to do that with the plethora of engineering available to folks like C'dale.

Originally Posted by dr_lha
BB30 doesn't really have adjustable pre-load like, say, Shimano Hollowtech cranks or headsets do though does it? Pre-load is supplied by the wave washer, and the cranks tightened down onto that to a specified torque. I suppose you can adjust pre-load by adding washers.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. And, yes, what I would have mentioned to Campag is that there is no "preload" per se as I liken "preload" to what we see in loose-bearing cup/cone applications and....again....wheel-type bearings found on modern vehicles. (If not the bike industry's headset assembly which requires a VERY finicky touch in preload)

Thanks again to all!!! Much good info!

P.S. To answer earlier about mileage.....Interestingly enough, I'm at about 9 months into this bike and almost exactly 3,000 miles.

Last edited by loimpact; 03-30-15 at 09:27 AM.