Old 03-30-15, 01:01 PM
grwoolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've spent a good amount of time on BB30 frames over the past 3 years and I've had do deal with creaking on a couple of them. It's not rocket science to make them quiet, but I'm still not a fan of the BB30 design.

I do all my own bike maintenance. I don't baby my bikes, often going months without washing them. The only frequent maintenance they get is chain lube/wipe. I'll clean brake pads (sanding down) to get grit out of them after a wet ride. I'll also replace my chain and clean the cassette every~3k miles. Cables (on my non-Di2) get replaced when shifting starts to suffer, usually 9-12 months. Brake pads, tires, and bar tape replaced as needed. In my maintenance world, everything else should be able to go over 1 year or 10k miles between attention, regardless of riding in the rain or not. I've had pretty good experience with this approach. Bikes are not the fragile creatures some make them out to be.

That said, I think it's crazy that anyone would need to pull the crank every month (or even a couple times a year) because they ride in the rain or other normal conditions. It's easy to pull a crank, but why would I want to? Where is it published that frequent (or even annual) removal of a crank is suggested? I'm not debating it, but I'm be surprised to hear that recommended interval. On the BB30 debate, I think it's a poor design compared to a threaded BB. My opinion is based on never having an issue with threaded BB's and having 2 issues with BB30 on bikes with less than 10k miles on them (but certainly thousands of miles before having an issue). I'm not saying BB30 is junk, but I think it's more prone to problems compared to threaded and the advantages are slim at best.