Old 03-30-15, 02:07 PM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
OK, chalk that down to another reason why I think BB30 sucks. Preload is vitally important, but the only way to adjust it is to take the crankarm off an install increasing number of narrow plastic washers. I'll admit when I overhauled my BB30 I did remove some of the washers as I felt like the wave washer was being over compressed, so did adjust preload in that way, but I have no real feeling as to whether the pre-load is at it's correct setting. I would bet that most people simply reinstall the washers that their bike came with, so the preload is effectively fixed by the torquing of the crank bolt. This is a far cry from the way one adjusts pre-load on Hollowtech cranks, which is much more refined. I suppose this gives the pro-BB30 crowd more ammunition against the BB30 haters: "AH! But you didn't install the correct number of washers, that's why it keeps creaking!"

I'll note that for mountain BB30 setups, there's a mechanical preload bolt, which is a far superior set-up for adjusting preload, presumably this is not on the road one to make it as narrow as possible for road use.
You say BB30 sucks and you bought one. Good move.
I love BB30.
A preload mechanical adjuster is not better than a wave washer crank and I believe nobody who has responded to this thread knows why. You are further wrong about being narrow for road use. There are mechanical preload adjusters on BB30 road cranks. As the voice of the industry, I love all the disinformation

Last edited by Campag4life; 03-30-15 at 02:12 PM.