Old 03-31-15, 07:51 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Assess your winter commute this year

Now that winter is behind us, for the most part, I am curious how your winter of commuting went. Any challenges that confounded you? Any successes you want share?

For me, this being my first winter of commuting I had a ton of momentum coming off the Christmas holidays, riding 2-3 days a week, until February hit. The weather made it very difficult and unappealing for me to ride. The extreme cold each morning and the snow was the big challenge. Even on mornings when it was marginally okay to ride and would I have ridden had I still had momentum I chose not to ride. That for me was the biggest challenge. I had zero rides for the month.

March has been kinder, at least the latter part of it. But even as I rode for the first time in six weeks a broken spoke on my commuter set me back a week until I could fix it. Fortunately the warmer weather and vanishing snow makes it much easier to get out in the morning, and I am starting build some more momentum.

The biggest challenge for me lately has been that nasty NW wind gusting 40-50km/h on my way home. Curse it!