View Single Post
Old 03-31-15, 11:42 AM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyduck
I grew up in the lake effect snow belt of Lake Ontario and I feel the pain of large dumps of snow and people who would ride on those narrow snow covered roads are a special breed of riders. My hat is off to all of you.
Put your hat back on. You'll catch your death of cold.

Lake Ontario contributed its usual to our snowfall here this year. But those cold snaps (I noticed they stopped calling them polar vortices this year) gave us more, and a couple of the coastal storms reached this far inland too. As a result, we had record snowfall in February. There was one day where I figured I'd take the bus, but they called a snow day so my record is intact. Ordinarily I can get out for weekend rides once or twice in February, but not this year.

But here we are at the end of March. I took my studs off later than ever before. There's still plenty of snow around. Yesterday I tried a three-mile section of the MUP, and had to hop off and push the bike through snow for a hundred feet or so on three separate occasions. I bailed after a mile and went back to the streets.

On nice days I'm still on my 10-mile winter loop instead of the 16-mile long loop to work. So it's the second consecutive month that I've missed my mileage goals.