View Single Post
Old 03-31-15, 01:47 PM
duckbill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My winter commute started on December 22, 2014, (first day of winter), with no snow on the ground until January 5th. The city claimed to not have the necessary funds to clear the roads forcing me to take the bus until January 12th, (car free). The cities found the funds, the plows came out and the bus was not used again for the rest of the winter season. From December 22nd, until March 20th, (first day of spring), my total winter commute was 1,235.6 kilometers. The lowest temperature I was exposed to on my ride was minus 33 degrees calculus on February 20th and the highest was plus 10 on December 24th. The winter bike worked without any mechanical mishaps. Studded tires were used from early January and came off on March 22. There is still ice to deal with early in the morning from snow melt the day before but I have not lost my vertical all winter. Without getting into details about the kit used I will just point out that with the very low temperatures in February, my commute without electric gloves would not be possible.
Overall, the winter of 2014 - 2015 has been one of the coldest that I can remember and I have been commuting by bicycle for quite sometime, (winter of 1992 - 1993).

Last edited by duckbill; 03-31-15 at 01:52 PM.