Old 04-01-15, 06:18 AM
beari

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fitting old italian road bike with new shimano parts -help needed!

I recently bought an 80's Gios Torino Super Record which was in SS setup. I also have a surly cross check fitted with a full shimano 105 5700 road group, but the frame itself isn't the best for road racing and I also use the bike almost exclusively for commuting and city riding. The Gios is also a better fit for me geometry wise (longer ST/shorter TT). So I was thinking if I could swap the parts from the Surly to the Gios and enjoy modern shifting on an old but excellent italian frame. Is it even possible?

I know Gios should be built with Campy parts but I really like the 105 (except the cranks, those are pretty hideous). I know I have to cold set the rear fork to fit the larger casette and I will probably also buy a quill to ahead -adapter so i can use modern stems and handlebars. The bottom bracket is problematic though. The hollowtech 2 BB I have fitted on the surly is a 68 mm BSA, I'm presuming the bottom bracket shell on the Gios is a 70 mm Italian thread. The bike is in storage elsewhere so i can't check now and I couldnt find info on the net about the shell width. Can I use the HT 2 cranks designed for 68 mm BB with the 70 mm italian thread HT 2 BB?