View Single Post
Old 04-01-15, 10:15 AM
Scott P

Bikes: 2015 Giant Defy 2, 2004 Gary Fisher Marlin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I Like I mentioned in my previous post, I pretty much only ride in my area of Kingwood and Porter, It's a neighborhood ride, so lots of neighborhood streets meaning more corners than long straights. I started riding 50+ pounds ago on my mountain bike with street tires. I could average about 30 miles at 15-16 mph, but that was tough. I bought my Defy in November so I could have a road bike for the MS150. My speed picked up and I could ride longer, but my average pace stayed about the same. When I did my first group ride in Humble (Lions Club), I found that I was going a lot faster than normal without really noticing it. I averaged almost 19 mph at the first rest stop. A headwind for the rest of the ride brought that average down to 17 mph by the end. I guess for me, there was a bit of a competitive thing going where I wanted to keep up with the riders around me.

The MS150 will be interesting to say the least. It is my first one and will be the longest I've ever ridden. I feel capable of doing it, but really don't think I am as ready as i want to be, if that makes sense. I am more worried about the second day. My legs seem to want to give in to soreness a lot easier than I want them too. I'm not very good at holding deep squats or even something as simple as a wall squat for too long. I can try to work on that over the next two weeks, but I don[t know how much difference it could actually make. I'm trying for back to back rides this weekend, weather permitting and one team ride next weekend.