View Single Post
Old 04-03-15, 12:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by intransit1217
I tend to think in those instances it would be better for us to ride single file. But I see the point. With the 3 foot rule, cars cross the line any way. Which I suppose makes us safer to be two abreast making us more visible to approaching cars.
This is true, objectively, but a lot of drivers don't realize this, probably because they don't actually think it through. What they think is that two abreast riders are taking up more of the lane. They don't think about the fact that they have to give way either way (single or two abreast) and that it's quicker to pass the shorter group.

I'm not saying this is right, but it's the way drivers see it.

Also, I've had the experience with a very courteous and rule-following group of riders. We were about 10 or so riders, riding in a little-used country road, up a hill single and double file (mostly double, but a couple of singletons in the group or at the end). Now, we weren't a professional double paceline lined up like a regiment. We were the way most more casual groups ride, very slowly up a hill, keeping to two abreast and as far right as practical, but not perfectly lined up. Not weaving excessively for the ~8-10 mph speed, but not an arrow straight trajectory like a fast riding, disciplined pro team.

A driver got angry and then wrote a letter to the cycle club website accusing us of riding 3-4 abreast. We were flabergasted and thought about it and verified the time and place and the fact that we were single and double filed. But, think about it - looking from the rear of a group like this, your vision and depth of field could interpret a single rider riding behind a pair as being three abreast.

Just another way that drivers mis-perceive a two abreast group.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
...This thread got my attention as the wife and I had a 'lively' discussion a couple weeks ago, the story: the two of us were riding out of our neighborhood on a pot-hole-war-zone two-lane road with a double yellow line. A minivan passes us, crossing the double yellow line, the driver was at a respectable speed and gave good clearance. However, my wife lost her $h!t, gave a very nice one-finger-salute and some colorful language. I was not happy with this. The wife said she was mad because the driver passed in a no passing zone.

Every day, I ride a number of roads with no shoulder and no passing zone. I will never get mad at a driver crossing the double yellow to offer me a safe distance (and reasonable speed).

Anybody know if police will ticket a driver for passing in this situation? I don't expect they would.

footnote - the wife is really pissed because this residential street has been turned into a highway with the closure of a major state highway less then a mile away.
First, I'm with you. Why anyone would get angry in any situation that doesn't endanger the cyclist, I just don't see the point. And note I said "endanger" not "inconvenience". I dont' believe in getting angry just for getting inconvenienced - like having to slow down, etc. even if the driver is not respecting official right of way. Hey, it happens all the time when I'm driving. Sometimes I have to slow down for a car turning in front of me. If I don't have to slam on the brakes, I don't honk. Same with a bike. We share the road, and the bike has a handlebar and brakes for a reason - to slow down, stop and turn, which is part of being on the road with other vehicles.

Second, we should remember that no passing zones, etc. are designed for safety at car speeds. Passing a bike takes such a small fraction of time that it takes to pass a car, that there are many (most?) no passing zone circumstances where it would be perfectly safe to pass a bike where it wouldn't be to pass a car. Remind your wife of that.

I personally doubt that a cop would give a car a ticket for safely passing a bike in a no passing zone because of the above rationale.