Old 04-04-15, 12:05 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ran 2x10 on my Fargo and really enjoyed it. Moved to 3x to simply take off the outer ring. My Krampus came with 1x10 and I enjoyed that before going to Rohloff.

For me, once I get beyond about 28mph it's coasting time. I'm not racing. And we have gaps here that you can ride downhill for 6 miles. Even doing randonneuring events I wouldn't put the hammer down descending. It's just not worth it from an energy use perspective. The amount of effort you have to put out to overcome wind is exponential compared to overcome gravity. As someone far faster than me suggested - work the climbs, rest or recover on the rest.

What I like about the 2x10 on my IF randonneuring and touring setup is that I can quickly tune my gear range with a cassette swap. Nice and tight for a known course or with no load. Wide for a hilly course or for touring.

And, I hate derailers. Front especially. Anything I do to minimize shifting that is good in my book.

But, as discussed at length in another 1x10 thread - YMMV, RYOR, 'You can pry my triple from my cold dead hands.', fixed or it's broke, etc. Etc. Etc.