View Single Post
Old 04-08-15, 04:48 AM
NDG
Bikes, science and snow

Bikes: Memento city bike 2023, Marinoni Turismo 2018, Trek Madone 6.5 2012, Norco Indie SS 2012 and CCM Motorbike 1928

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very useful advice. Thank you.

Originally Posted by K.Katso
I live about 12km outside of Amsterdam. Let's separate "riding in Amsterdam" from "riding around Amsterdam."

ALL of the bike paths in Amsterdam are heavily used. Much of the population lives car-free or just takes the bike out of convenience. It's also very densely-populated and there are tram tracks throughout much of the city. It's a good place to ride for transportation, but a terrible place to ride for entertainment.

Now, riding outside of Amsterdam - you can go any direction out of the city and find wide open spaces. Most highways here in the Netherlands have a dedicated bike path running parallel to them. If they don't, there is a bike lane. Bikes have the right of way in almost all circumstances as well. You do have to watch out for the elderly and children, so it's best to have a bell on your bike (even my Pinarello has a bell for this reason).

I don't know what your riding ability is like, but there are several tourist attractions within what I would consider easy cycling distance.

Zaanse Schans - Zaanse Schans: windmills, crafts and museums, just outside Amsterdam!

National Park Hoge Veluwe - https://www.hogeveluwe.nl/en

Volendam - Volendam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Monnickendam - Monnickendam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

National Park Utrechtse Heuvelrug - Nationaal Park Utrechtse Heuvelrug

If you want to go to the beach, you can easily ride to Zandvoort:

Zandvoort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The rail network here is also pretty good, and you can take your bike on the train in certain cars. That puts a lot more things within reach. Head down to Maastricht for the day if you want to ride some hills - all of the climbs from the Amstel Gold Race are in this area. Go to Arnhem if you want see the famous "bridge too far" (at least the rebuilt version of it anyway) and take in a bit of WW2 history or maybe climb the Posbank, another famous hill.

A good option if you're not sure where/how far you want to go is to ride out and then take the train back. A lot of people do that.