Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RJM
Why are downtubes better than brifters, again? And why does convenience and having control directly under your hand so you don't have to take a hand off the bar not rise to "better?" Seems like faulty logic to me. This doesn't even take into account the advantages that electronic shifting gives to the rider interested in such.

Downtubes aren't all that lighter than brifters, considering you have to have a brake lever and downtube shifter, plus bosses for that system.
Because gaining one small benefit [convenience, for those who can't take one hand off of the bars for 1 second) in exchange for giving up 7 other benefits...THAT is faulty logic. (But I agree about the weight- It's not enough to matter- but seems to count for a lot around here when people are touting the latest & greatest)

Originally Posted by Elvo
So, all things being equal, replacing "brifters" with DT shifters would make everyone significantly faster?
Nope! But it wouldn't make them any slower; and would give them more control and more tactile feel [which, of course, is purely aesthetic- but aesthetics do figure significantly into cycling].

I could really care less what others like and ride- but the two things which really bother me are: The fact that one can no longer commonly buy new bikes with DT shifters/bosses; and the fact that many people riding brifters today are convinced that they are the greatest thing since terlit paper, but have never actually had the opportunity to ride DT shifters.

Ride whatever you like...but don't deny the superiority of something just because you don't personally like it. If you'll observe, I don't even own a bike with DT shifters. (But I will in the future)