Old 04-10-15, 12:44 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
@Stucky, I really don't get some of your points on DT shifters. Not saying it to argue, but your different posts confuse me.

1) There are many new frames with DT bosses. Most are steel, some are aluminum (Nashbar had a nice one), and some are titanium. If you want to build brand new DT, it is both easy and inexpensive (comparatively).

2)You talk about DT "feel", and then indexed rear DT. There is no feel to an indexed rear, be it DT or integrated shifter, at least in my experience. All you " feel" is the click. Friction rear is where you get all the tactile and auditory feedback, and can adjust accordingly.

3) Campy ergos can dump the cassette in one thumb movement, faster than you will reach for and move the DT lever. But even so, it is a rare hill that I have encountered that I shift the whole cassette or freewheel that quickly. Usually hills taper on and off, so I am dropping from the 25 before I crest, and steadily moving toward my 12 or 14 (or your hypothetical 11). I have never needed instant.

4) I honestly think DT's belong with 126mm OLD, and in my latest build, I couldn't find a small sprocket smaller than 14. So your 25-11 example seems weird for a DT bike, but that is entirely subjective.

5) In the past few years, I have owned bikes with integrated shifters (Shimano and Campy), DT shifters (friction and indexed), and a single speed (not fixed). I would not say DT has any performance advantage over anything else, and would say it brings a different experience.

6) The biggest nonperformance advantage of DT's is, IMHO, that you can put the same brake levers on your geared bike and SS, so you can standardize on something you like without worrying about what the big 3 are doing to their hood shape.

Edit: added carriage returns