View Single Post
Old 04-11-15, 03:32 PM
YonathanZ

Bikes: Italwin eLight (20" folding ebike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
Dishing a wheel (getting it in the center of the frame) is easy if the wheel is true, and slightly more difficult if it's not. Look up the tutorial by Sheldon Brown. Also, you can determine the range of sizes that your rim is most compatible with on the manufacturers web site.
My bike is just 6 months old and is still under warranty, so whatever it is, I'll have them fix it. As I've written above, the bike manfacturer's website does not list any information about the rims. I'll assume the rims are chinese ones that belong to no brand.

Originally Posted by prathmann
Sounds like you shouldn't have any issue with 2+" tires. A very wide range of tire widths can be used on given width rim, so if there are no clearance issues at the frame or brakes you should be fine.

Seems odd that the tire maker would put such speed limitations on tires intended for e-bikes since they don't list such limits for regular bikes. Mine have no motor, but I live in a fairly hilly area so reach speeds of over 50 kmph on almost every ride - and over 80 kmph fairly often. Never had any tire issues related to speed, nor any problems stopping with regular rim calipers.
So I also need to make sure the brakes will fit those tires? How do I do that? Can't I just make them as wide as I want to by loosening the brake cables as much as needed, until they're wide enough that they don't touch the rims when not engaged?

As for the tires - my thoughts exactly. I've reached 50kmph on this ebike without the battery (sport rides with the dog) in descents, and I guess you could do that with any decent bike.