Old 04-12-15, 02:04 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
I agree, custom can get expensive, but the right bike could last a person decades. When I think of my 30+ yr old Colnago Super, the original purchase price works out to the equivalent of about 2 cups of coffee for every year I've owned it.

For tadpole recumbent trikes, there are several manufactures and innovators. Utah Trikes?

I've seen bike conversions for upright trikes, some pretty good, giving multi speeds, and even suspension. CAT here in Eugene has some odd bikes, but I'm not sure how much manufacturing they do, they are a pretty odd place. However, if the choice is to go fully custom, hopefully there would be a local shop in NY/NJ that would assist as it is hard to cover unique needs on a coast to coast basis.

The Asperger's/Autistic individuals are a unique class of "special needs" people, and wouldn't require adaptations like a hand cycle. More of it would be to just find a quality bike that works for them, whether it is a 30 yr old trike to wobble around the neighborhood, or a tadpole trike that would get them up to 20+ MPH at times.

Perhaps add some good lights???

I have a pretty basic small wheel upright trike here that I've been meaning to retro fit multi speeds into (3? 7? 11?), and perhaps even a differential.

Actually I've been trying to start a small bike business... So I might be able to build or rebuild a "custom" given a little time. I am sure I could work out a good price for the first few bikes.

I was exploring the recumbent trikes a bit, but I have some development work before going the route.

Last edited by CliffordK; 04-12-15 at 02:07 PM.