Old 04-12-15, 02:20 PM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by adablduya
suck it up, buttercup. or, another way to put it, HTFU.

you're going to encounter winds. cross, tail, and head. enjoy the tailwinds, and grind thru the headwinds. headwinds can be discouraging, no doubt, when you have them day after day. call these character-building experiences. riding across Wyoming was this for me.....

to echo other comments, keep your schedule as flexible as possible. stay positive.
Wyoming can make you wonder what the heck you are doing. At least it made me hate life for awhile. Cuz there are headwinds and there are HEADWINDS. Actually the worst winds I have encountered were in Idaho, going from Mountain Home to Fairplay. Fighting altitude and a 30 mph headwind. Stupid. Should have stayed put. Nebraska was second with 30+ mph headwinds and 104 degree heat. Blast furnace. My current headwind strategy is to, first of all, take full advantage of tailwinds and get some 100-150 mile days in. Then try to avoid the strong headwinds by studying the hourly and daily forecasts. Riding early or later in the day, avoiding the solar winds. Or just using a rest day. So far, I have had a fixed number of days to ride, so several days of headwinds would require me to the HTFU.