View Single Post
Old 04-12-15, 05:58 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed.
Didn't go far, and that was good as I had to walk all the way back (well but for a bit of a downhill, I coasted that.) I'd failed to tighten the outer two sprockets on the freewheel and, for reasons known only to them, they unscrewed and jammed against the drop out.
Bummer.

We did another tandem ride today, didn't expect to do many miles and ended up at 24. With nice temperatures and much less wind our average speed was about 1.5mph higher today than yesterday. However we also had a problem. With maybe 7 or 8 miles to go the pedals developed a strange click-ish sort of thump. I thought, what the heck? The frame showed no cracks. Did we break a BB bearing? But both BBs seemed fine. Well, nothing to do but ride back to the car. Shifted the front and it didn't change. We each took turns unloading our pedals and it didn't change. Hmm. Shifted the rear and lo! the thumping stopped. Shifted back to the 3rd cog and it came back. When we got home I checked it out. Here's what I found. The middle cog had transformed itself from a 21 to a 19:

The good news is that after 6000 miles the FW came off the hub fairly easily! Can you spot both problems here:

Calling Pastor Bob! Come in, Pastor Bob...

I need a 21 and a 32.