Old 04-12-15, 10:32 PM
katsrevenge
covered in cat fur

Bikes: Papillionaire Sommer, '85 Schwinn World Tourist, 2014 Windsor Kensington 8, SixThreeZero SS Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Taryelle
Hear me out...please: I want a good dependable smooth riding bike for small city life, that can take moderate paved city hills. I want to use my bike for a 2-3 mile commute each way on a daily basis. I don't particularly care about my speed or my personal 'performance' on it. I just need transportation, to get from home to campus and back. I haven't ridden much of anything since I was a kid and I'm in my 40s now.

I do not care what my bike looks like. I don't care if it's step through or step over. I'd rather have one with comfortable straight bar handles or that doesn't require me to bend in half to ride as this wouldn't suit my body type (at the moment)

BUT: I have a caveat. I have to carry my bike up two very narrow steep flights of stairs to store it each night, because my condo corp is lame and won't let us leave bikes secured outside the building in any way (despite living in a super safe low crime small city) .

So.. I need a bike that is both good for a heavy set woman for daily commutes on moderately hilly paved roads, and a bike that doesn't weigh 40+ pounds because I have to carry it up and down stairs regularly and I'm not that tall at 5'5".

However, looking around, the terms are confusing - I've seen hybrids that look like mountain bikes, cruisers that look like racing bikes (albeit with upright handles) and I still can't quite grasp what a 'commuter' bike is, other than that many pics I've seen suggest they have the 'old fashioned' triangle frame.

Given this, what kind of bike should I be looking for? Brands and models especially welcome. My pre-customization budget would be about $500.
Hmmm..... I too am a short chunky woman. (5'3") A little younger but not much!

I have the 8 speed version of these:
Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Essex from bikesdirect.com (single speed)
Save Up To 60% Off Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish Three Speed City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Oxford from bikesdirect.com (3 speed)

The 8 speed would probably be too heavy. I do take it up and down short stairs but only one flight! I do love my Windsor.
For that short of a ride... you won't need many gears. You could probably get by with just a single speed. The mixte (the one with the lower bar) would let you wear longer coats or a dress/skirt if you wanted. The other type of frame..not so much. The handlebars are nice and upright, and comfortable. If they are too wide you can replace them with 'North Road' bars. These are narrower so easier to go up and down stairs but like a cruiser in how you sit.

These would let you have around 100 or more for a good U lock and to take the bike to a shop. And something like this handle thing to help carry the bike up and down stairs. https://www.purefixcycles.com/produc...iant=793582165

Honestly, if you didn't have the stairs I'd say to go for a straight up cruiser. They are heavy but nice on a short ride.