View Single Post
Old 04-13-15, 10:06 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I don't think you'll find a 29er rim with a brake track, while you can certainly find that in 700C road rims. Likewise, I don't think you can find a 29er-labeled rim that'll take a truly skinny tire. Likewise finding a 700C-labeled rim that'll take a 2.2" wide tire well might be a bit challenging.
You won't find many, as 29er didn't really exist before disc brakes were standard for MTB's. There are rims out there, DT make the TK 540 (used to be the TK 7.1) DT Swiss - TK 540 and Rigida/Ryde dot he Sputnik Products | Ryde although they are all sold as heavy duty touring, no reason why they can;t be used for other applications

Originally Posted by dabac
There's a persistent rumour that MTB-rated hubs would have better seals. Can neither comfirm or deny that myself.
OTOH CX bikes are generally based on road components, and they certainly know how to get muddy.
Would go with highly unlikely with that, apart from brands like Shimano, SRAM & Fulcrum which have dedicated road/MTB branding, most other brands don't differentiate, or only do now to differentiate between rim and disc version of the same product line. With Shimano, if you really want to see if there are different seals, the SI/Tech docs are view-able online, Have used several old (NOS) non-disc MTB hubs on road wheel builds, in use, can feel no difference between them and a dedicated road version.